Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Friday, April 6, 2018

The way of Ignorance


You must go by the way which is the way of ignorance.
As we grow older the world becomes stranger,
the pattern more complicated
                                           TS Eliot
______________________________________________


I get more ignorant as I go alone
I used to know everything
(or so I thought)

I understood God
And people
Life made sense

I had a handle on Heidegger and Schopenhauer
Kant and Hegel (Major #1 Philosophy)

Shakespeare and Proust were a snap (Double Major, #2 was English)

Later Luther, and Calvin
Barth, Brunner and Bultmann
Koyama, Merton and the Niebuhrs
Were a snap   (M.Div)

Don’t forget Kierkegaard  (D.Min)

But now I no longer am so sure
I understand
God
Or people
Or life

It seems the more I know, the less I know
The more certain I was
The less certain I have become

God is still there
And still God
(although I find anthropomorphizing a problem.  People get all dualistic when God is “God” not something like “the Sacred”.  And they want to own God, define God according to their whim)
And it is only a short distance, from my head
To the Sacred Presence in my soul

But sometimes I just don’t get how God works
(which is a good thing, by the way)

People?
Forget it!
Honestly I don’t think I have ever “gotten” people
Or trusted them for that matter
Nor have I been able to be open,
Or real
Or vulnerable…

And so few get behind my shell
And far too little of “me” gets out

As to life?
Trump!
Guns
Children dying
Economic inequity (and injustice)
Racism

I just don’t get it
And I have no idea, how to make a difference
(once I thought I could be a super star pastor and change the world)

So I walk down the path of ignorance
Knowing I don’t know
Taking the gifts as they come
Hoping for a little bit of luck
Hoping that maybe I’ll find a friend (totally by accident)
And that somehow
The world will magically sort itself out

Silly me
Nothing like a little wishful thinking J
Otherwise known
As
faith

No comments:

Post a Comment