Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Thursday, October 4, 2018

for better or worse


“Every human interaction offers you the chance to make things better or to make things worse.”
                              Barbara Brown Taylor, An Altar in the World: A Geography of Faith
________________________

Life is an opportunity

An opportunity to make a mess of things
Something I am inordinately good at,

And a change to make things better

It doesn’t take much, really, to mess things up
Not listening
Not listening with the heart
Words uttered, too fast and without thought

An impulsive action
Relating to another out of need not fullness

But it doesn’t take much to make things better
Kindness
A little gentleness
Generosity
A complement here an there
Presence

There are times it is hard to get up in morning
To face this world as it is
Where the powerful abuse
Where the vulnerable are neglected
Where good people are oppressed by bad people
Sometimes in the name of God

But I can swing my feet out of bed
And start putting one foot in front of the other

If
If
If
My plan for the day, my only plan
Is to do the small things that make things better
For each person I meet
For in each person I meet and serve
I meet and serve the Sacred

No comments:

Post a Comment