Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Monday, June 3, 2019

God shouts in our pains


Pain insists upon being attended to. God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks in our consciences, but shouts in our pains. It is his megaphone to rouse a deaf world.”
 C.S. Lewis
_____________________________________________________________________

I suppose in a way
Pain is my friend

Pain tells me when I have done too much
And reminds me when I have done to little

Pain screeches “Stop it!!” right now,
When I am doing things that hurt me
When I eat poorly
Love poorly
serve poorly

“Cut the BS, tell the truth”
“Stopping eating that crap, its killing you”
“Don’t work so hard”

Of course pain also tells me to act
To do something different
“Take your hand off that stove!”
“Start walking!”
“Try listening once in a while!’

The thing about pain is that it is strident
Demanding
It will not leave us alone

In those times when things are good we can easily
Settle into apathy
We can get careless

When we are not in pain we can easily
Let things “slide”
The imperative is just not there
And so we compromise and settle

To be honest I am tired of the pain
I am tired of a neck that aches
A back that hurts
And a knee that hates me

I am tired of a head that will not quite
That monkey brain of mine
That will not let me rest
But chatters away

Pushing
Accusing
Condemning

But mostly I am tire of the pain that oozes
From every pore of my community
my nation
my planet

I see the pain of those without healthcare
Of those caught in addiction
Or afflicted with mental illness

I see the pain of those fighting cancer
Alzheimer’s
Hopelessness

I see the pain of the families on the border
The pain of black families who have lost a child unjustly
I see the pain of parents as they send their children off to school
And the deeper pain when some of those children do not return

I see the pain of people born LGBTQI
As they are driven from their families
And excluded from the church

I see the pain of women
Relegated to being “host bodies”
The pain of an 11 year old forced to carry the child of a rapist
While he own life dies
And the pain of a mother forced to share custody
With the rapist who father her child

Simply because too many law makers (most of them GOP)
Mistake pro-birth for pro-life
And see women as objects to be minimized and used.

And at times that pain rages within
Making me want to shut down
Escape
Numb

At times it makes me reclusive
At times irritable
At times it makes we want to drink
At times it drives me into bed, early

And at times it spurs me to action
It impels me to speak out
To write blogs
Preach the Gospel

If pushes me to visit those who are sad
And alone
And aging

Those fearful and grieving

To give to good causes

I moves me to kindness
And acceptance
And generosity

God does shout in my pain.
Thanks be to God

No comments:

Post a Comment