Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Wednesday, June 12, 2019

I can't do this anymore


Once you've had enough and you can't do it anymore, you consider the possibility that there might be a better way. That's when your head cracks open and God comes in.
Marianne Williamson
____________________________

I have heard myself say it
All too many times lately

I can’t do this any more

I can’t do forgiveness
I can’t do love
I can’t do generosity
I can’t counter falsehoods with facts

I can’t confront what I think is ill

I can’t keep trying to look past the behaviors
To the person
To the soul

I just can’t

I am too angry
Too sad
Too disappointed
Too frustrated

Perhaps, if the truth were told
I am simply too empty

The reality is
I could never do any of the things I desired in the first place
Without the Sacred
Rocking and rolling in my soul

Pushing me
Challenging me
Moving me into action

Getting me past my self
My priorities
My fears
My prejudices

Setting me free from all those things
“out there” that would suck me dry
And leave me

Empty

I have no chance of being a force for good in the world
Unless I am, like a vine, connected to a life giving branch

I have no chance of staying alive, emotionally and spiritually
Unless I have a spring of living water, welling up in my soul

And that is the beautiful thing about reaching the point
Where one can’t do it any more

Because that is when the wind blows
The fire burns
The water springs up

That is when all that is God
Flows through us

And we pick ourselves up
And start again…

Paul got it
as he honestly admitted (Romans 7)
“My own behaviour baffles me. For I find myself not doing what I really want to do but doing what I really loathe. … I often find that I have the will to do good, but not the power…

 I thank God there is a way out [of this ambivalence]
through Jesus Christ our Lord”

I thank God when I can’t do it any more
That the God in me (that is the secret after all)
says (in effect)….

“finally, now its my turn”


No comments:

Post a Comment