Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Relatively untouched, but still touched


"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are.”
                               Attributed to Benjamin Franklin
 “Fairness does not mean everyone gets the same. Fairness means everyone gets what they need.”
                                Rick Riordan, The Red Pyramid
__________________________

It is vacation time
I have earned it
I work hard
I have always worked hard

Very little time to breathe
As I juggle being a part-time pastor,
Running a mental health program,
And helping facilitate the life
Of a Presbyterian Presbytery

(for Presbyterian geeks I am a transitional Presbyter
 and the Stated Clerk)

I have done well over the years
And I am comfortable
More than comfortable at the moment
With a nice house
Nice things
A “nice” income
A bit of money in the bank

And so as the shit show that is today’s
America roils around me like
a flood of muddy, gross water

I am relatively untouched

The stock market is high
Woo hoo
My children are doing well
I live in a beautiful place
with my amazing animals

my wife can do her dressage
and we can talk about new horse

what difference does it make to me that the President lies?
What do I care about the fact that he and his family profit off the office?
Or that the Senate Majority leader has broken the Constitution?
Or that our Attorney General has decided that justice isn’t important?

What do I care if a horrible person gets his sentence,
Richly deserved, cut in half by a tweet?

And why does it matter to me that family in need are losing SNAP
and will go hungry
Why do I care that families cannot afford housing
and that health care continues to bankrupt many
and that some cannot get the care they need?

It matters because I care
It matters because I see the pain around me
And the fear
It matters because the people I work with, afflicted by pain,
Can’t get the care they need.
And because the people I serve who have mental illness live
in fear of losing their housing (and go hungry)

I remember sitting and talking
About the fact that “it doesn’t affect me personally”
This erosion of all the values our country has pretended
Through my lifetime,
To embrace

But it does

This touches all of us
For all people are children of God
All people are carriers of the Sacred
All people are invited to the table of God
All people are valuable

And all people
Deserve “life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness”

And history has shown, that if all don’t flourish
Eventually all perish

And the Bible is clear!
We are to take care of others

Read the Gospels
I dare you,
And come up with another conclusion

So this touches me
Even on vacation
Even in my affluence

This touches me
And I hope to God, it touches you

Because there are people hurting out there
And the planet is dying
And freedom is slipping away

This is no time for selfishness
or foolishness

we must return to the way
of justice
and equity
and generosity
and kindness

the time is now

No comments:

Post a Comment