Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Sunday, July 19, 2020

don't give up

Unfinished Poem

I would love to live like a river flows, carried by the surprise of its own unfolding.”

                                         John O'Donohue

_______________________________________________

 

Zen

I would like to be very Zen

in the moment

with calm attentiveness

 

or to translate that into faith language

I would not many having

“the peace that surpasses all understanding”

 

but alas

 

I am all too often looking back

over my shoulder

at those moments that wound one’s soul

regretting

 

and I am all too often looking forward

wondering at where this all is headed

this pandemic

this failed state, and failed presidency

this economy

worrying

 

I carry these regrets and worries

in this body

they ooze out of my soul in the aches and pains

that are more than aging

 

I carry too the pain of this world

I feel the agony of those oppressed and minimized

my black brothers and sisters, who do not matter to too many

whose victimization is rationalized and excused and whitesplained away

 

I hurt for my Native America friends, who denied support and respect

die quickly, die slowly on the reservations

where we have placed them, and where we have ignored them

 

I cannot forget the poor

the mentally ill, the abused

the shamed the rejected

all those our society has cast-off, like so much garbage

 

even the earth cries out

and her cries are felt, deep down,

in that space where Sacred dwells

 

what does it mean

in such times

to carry peace

to live in the moment?

 

to find that place where, while all is chaos and terror

one can have a calmness of soul

 

where does that come from?

 

It comes I think, from understanding that what is Sacred

all that is sacred, is Love

Those clouds, love

That mountain, love

That person, love

 

And recognizing that love permeates the fabric of the world

It is woven into who we are as Sacred Children

It is both deniable and undeniable

 

And it is believing that love has power

And love can indeed, win

 

If we do not give up

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment