Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Wednesday, September 9, 2020

My Pain is NOT "the story"

Many of us spend our whole lives running from feeling with the mistaken belief that you can not bear the pain. But you have already borne the pain. What you have not done is feel all you are beyond that pain.

                               Kahlil Gibran

__________________________

 

sometimes

when we have dealt with pain for a long time

we become our pain

 

pain becomes who we are

instead of our larger self, carrying pain

the self becomes swallowed up in pain

and it becomes our identity

 

we are our aching back

the abuse we have suffered

our worst failures

our sin

 

we lose sight of our original self

and our original blessing

 

and pain takes control

 

but here is the thing about pain

it is not who we are

we feel pain

we carry pain

it is powerful

 

but it is not who we are

any more than the flogging

the crown of thorns

and the cross

were who Christ was

 

those things were part of Christ’s story

but not the story (although we sometimes make them so)

the real story is the resurrection

the real story is what God was able to do

with the worst that could happen

 

and I think that is always the story

what God is able to do

with the worst that can happen to us

 

I have pain every day

the pain that comes from an aging body

well used

the pain that comes from an anxiety disorder

the pain that comes from big mistakes along the way

 

but I am not my pain

it is (when all is said and done) only a part of who I am

and when I can remember that

and after recognizing the pain, and accepting it,

(“Hello pain, there you are!  How are you today?”)

 

I can move on, to the other parts of who I am

I can move on, into this moment

Into the things that are important to me

 

I can do what I value

I can be who I want to be

 

for the Spirit, the paraclete, the helper

the inner presence of the Sacred, Spirit, Jesus

is there to guide, comfort, empower, and heal

and remind me of who I am

Child of God

 

Pain may be part of my story

but it is not

and never will be

 

the story


No comments:

Post a Comment