Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Sunday, January 31, 2021

Get over yourself

when I was a sophomore in college

I wore a deep track to the registrar’s office

to change majors

 

I had started out pre-med

seeking to follow in the footsteps of my father

an amazing physician and surgeon

a true healer

 

but then I hit chemistry,

and realized I was not a scientist

and my gifts lay elsewhere

 

I tried on history, political science, and sociology

eventually moving to philosophy, adding in literature

and later theology and psychology

 

I obviously didn’t know what I wanted to be when I grew up

and in the midst of this mess, the Beatles broke up

 

they had been a part of my life starting in Junior High,

all the way through High School, and into the tough early years of college

 

and then they were gone

leaving behind one last album, “Let it Be”

 

and on that album was a song,  “I, Me, Mine”

 

All through the day

I me mine, I me mine, I me mine

All through the night

I me mine, I me mine, I me mine

Now they're frightened of leaving it

Everyone's weaving it

Coming on strong all the time

All through the day

I me mine

 

This was not an anthem for toxic individualism

quite the opposite

 

instead George Harrison was actually rejecting individualism –

believing that a focus on what "I" have,

on those things which belong to "me",

which are "mine" –

 

prevents us being fully realized

 

it was a song about the danger of being wrapped up in ego

 

this was a cornerstone of Indian philosophy

it is also, I believe, the cornerstone of Jesus teachings

 

after all, Jesus did say this

If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.

 

we can talk a lot about what is wrong with the world right now

about what is wrong with the United States of America

about what is wrong with the so called “church”

about what is wrong with “us”

 

but I think it comes down to this

individualism

 

people are radically attached to “their rights”

violently attached

 

to the right to carry a gun

to not wear a mask

 

to the point, paradoxically that

“my rights”

become the right to impose

one’s agenda, beliefs, and ideology

on others

 

Richard Rohr talks about the Cosmic Egg

and suggests that for all of us there are three stories

 

there is my story, where it is all about me

where I seek significance through power, possessions and privilege

when on is  wrapped up in “my story”

the plea to wear masks for others become tyranny

 

then there is “our story”, the story of the tribe

the world of groupthink, nationalism, tribalism

 

if my story is about egocentricity

our story is about group egocentricity

and it is even more dangerous

 

a nation with the disease of toxic individualism can do much more damage

than a single person with the same issue

 

which leads to “the story”

which is the story told by Jesus

the story lived by Jesus

 

the story of inclusion, sacrifice, generosity

the story of “all”

where all are loved, all are treated justly

all are valued

 

and where we are willing to give up some of what we have

that all might have enough

 

that mentality where, as we wander down the road of life

our time is spent not fighting our own way to success and comfort

but is spent picking others up,

working as hard as we can

 

to make sure we all get there, together

 

in this time of toxic individualism, the verse that guides me

the concept that drives me

and that has become my “anthem” for 2021 is this

 

If then there is any encouragement in Christ, any consolation from love, any sharing in the Spirit, any compassion and sympathy, make my joy complete: be of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind. Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility regard others as better than yourselves. Let each of you look not to your own interests, but to the interests of others.  Let the same mind be in you that was[a] in Christ Jesus,  (Phil. 2:1-5)

 

Its time we get over ourselves!

 

(note:  yes, I know the dangers of not having “boundaries”, and there is a point where being for others becomes enabling and co-dependence and toxic in its own right)


No comments:

Post a Comment