Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Tuesday, January 12, 2021

hearts set free

A human being is a spatially and temporally limited piece of the whole, what we call the “Universe.” He experiences himself and his feelings as separate from the rest, an optical illusion of his consciousness. The quest for liberation from this bondage is the only object of true religion. Not nurturing the illusion but only overcoming it gives us the attainable measure of inner peace.

                     Albert Einstein (a translation from the original German

 

Note:  This statement has been altered many times and misquoted. 

___________________________

 

it seems we have a choice

“how then shall I now live?”

 

how shall I live in this world

with its love of domination?

how shall I live in a society

that does not value all people the same?

how shall I live in an economy in which profit

is more important than people?

 

how shall I live?

 

how shall I live if I take seriously

that I carry the Sacred within me?

how shall I live if I take seriously that each person I meet

no matter their color

or social status

or education level

or title

or affluence

also carries the Sacred within them, and is a Sacred Child

 

how shall I live?

 

while sitting in that stark and unhospitable land of temptation

Jesus was given a choice

the choice to follow the way of power and domination

or the choice to follow the long, complex, messy path to the cross

 

the Jesus path is messy, and complex, and difficult

and there are many ways to think about

the choices

 

that takes us down the path

or off the path

 

do we choose dominance or servanthood

generosity of accumulation

inclusion or exclusion

merit or grace

 

but in the end there is only one choice

will I remain an encapsulated ego

a person wrapped up in myself

(can you spell toxic individualism)

 

or will I be a person who sees him or herself

as a part of a community

not a small community

not a tribe

 

but a really big community

the community of human kind

 

and will I make choices that benefit the community

not just me

the community as well as me

 

Thank you Albert

for understanding better than most of us Christians

what Christianity is all about

what it means to have a heart set free

 

our faith should indeed liberate us

to be people for others

people notice others, connect with others

and insist

 

that as we walk down life’s twisted and dangerous pathway

we do it, together

and we get all get home

together


No comments:

Post a Comment