Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Saturday, January 23, 2021

Hypocrites all

“One thing you can't hide - is when you're crippled inside.”

                     John Lennon

 

____________________________

 

I’m a hypocrite

You’re a hypocrite

She’s a hypocrite, he’s a hypocrite

Wouldn’t you like to be a hypocrite too!?

 

I starting thinking the other day

about how in the morning I can write about loving my enemy

and then a few hours later

pummel someone verbal on Facebook

 

about how I can talk about generosity in one breath

and about joyful giving

and the pour over my finances, determined to increase my net worth

the next

 

It hit me just how often my words and actions do not line up

 

How about you?

 

It is not that I intentionally say what is false

It is not that I am pretending to be something I am not

It is not that don’t try to live up to my words

To practice what I preach

 

It is simply that all too often

If find myself violating my own intentions

My own values

 

I have a great deal of sympathy for Paul

Who wrote in Romans 7

 

I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate… I can will what is right, but I cannot do it. For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I do.

 

It appears Paul was a hypocrite too?!

 

At least he was my kind of hypocrite

 

Here is too all of us who try and fail

 

I know there are those who are intentional

I know there are those who are blind to their own duplicity

I know there are Those who talk love, act hatefully, and don’t even see it

 

There are hypocrites and then there are hypocrites

 

I am talking here about those of us who

Try and fail

And know we fail

Who are pained by that failure

Who, hopefully admit that failure

 

Those who confess, and repent

 

And then

Seek to connect with Sacred in such a way that

we become new,

transformed

 

this isn’t a matter of trying harder

trying harder won’t get us there

we will always fail

ask Paul

 

This is a matter of being permeated by love

Filled with living water

Lifted up by the wind of the Spirit

 

This is us being transformed by the renewing of our minds

and the cleansing of our hearts

 

so that we move ever closer

to doing what we want to do

and being who we want to be

 

children of God


No comments:

Post a Comment