Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Monday, January 18, 2021

someone loves you

All I wish

Is for you

To one day

Love you

The way

I do

                     Atticus, The Truth About Magic, St. Martin’s Griffin, p.37

______________________________

 

what makes me

so insecure?

 

what drives me, day in and day

to have to prove myself

as a pastor,

a therapist,

a leader,

a man?

 

heck!

why do I have to prove that I am a valuable human being?

 

what makes me worry so much about how people see me?

why do I need so much affirmation?

why do I so often slip in the gooey realm of “not enough”?

 

and before you assure me that I am OK,

let me assure you

that I probably won’t really hear you

 

I’ll be grateful for the affirmation

but it won’t penetrate

 

and let me remind you

that this is not just me

this is also you

 

how few of us

really feel valuable

 

I suspect that even those who seem most assured

have, inside, the same raging doubts

 

what goes on inside that bombastic person

who struts and brags?

often the same thing that goes on inside that retiring person

who hides and is silent!

 

we all react to our sense of deficit differently

I became an overachiever

Some become angry

Some bully (think Trump)

Some hide

 

but for all of us

however we got there

trauma, parental expectations,

failure,

 

there is a common need

to know that someone values us, respects us

loves us

 

not because of what we have done

how we look

not even because of who we are

 

but simply because of the fact that we are

 

where does such love and affirmation come from?

 

Sometimes mothers or fathers

Sometimes siblings

Or friends

 

but always

from the Beloved

 

if we understand God correctly

that Sacred Power that is behind all

and is Love

 

we know we are loved

we know we have value

 

and in the midst of those times

when we wonder why we are here

and lament our failures

and struggle with the mess that is the world

 

that Love is there

nestled inside us (if we will but look)

inside me, inside you,

inside each one of us, even the most damaged of us

 

whispering, imploring

reminding

 

Child of God, Child of God, Child of God

All I wish

Is for you

To one day

Love you

The way

I do


No comments:

Post a Comment