Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Monday, September 30, 2024

Fundamentalism

I want to be a fundamentalist

Oh, don’t get me wrong

I don’t want to be a doctrinal fundamentalist

I don’t to be someone who cannot look beyond the words on paper fundamentalist.

 

I want to be a lifestyle fundamentalist  

A person who imitates Jesus

 

It is not an original idea.

Francis of Assisi, Thomas a‘ Kempis

Had it long before me

 

I should have figured it out long ago

When Jesus said “Come and follow me”

He really meant it

 

When he said “I am the way”

He really meant it.

 

Be like me

This is the way to live.

 

But it is so hard

I mean all that stuff about

Selling all I have and giving it to the poor

(shouldn’t they work harder?)

Welcoming the stranger

(aren’t they dangerous, and coming to steal what is mine?)

Praying for those who persecute me

(they aren’t praying for me, at least not praying good things for me)

 

All that stuff about

Turning the other check

(I need that gun to protect myself)

Feeding the hungry, clothing the naked

(there just isn’t enough to go around, right?)

 

I have my excuses

Why following is dangerous, foolish, ineffective

I mean sure Jesus said all that

But that seems too weak and naïve for a world like this!!

 

But Sacred Love is not interested in my excuses

Yes, the cross is an ending for a fool

Yes, this way is dangerous

And costly

And illogical, going against everything my culture has taught me

About success, winning, safety, and privilege

 

But fundamentally

It is the way

 

And if I ignore it

If we all ignore it

 

Well, we see how that works.

As suffering immigrants are demonized and deported

And the poor are neglected

And children are shot at school

And the rich just get richer

And candidates appeal to us using hate

 

So fundamentally Jesus

I want to be yours

And I want to follow you

And walk your way

 

And I will suck at it!

And I will stumble, maybe even fall.

 

But I pray, Jesus, that I can persist

And be your person,

fundamentally


No comments:

Post a Comment