Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Tuesday, September 3, 2024

Make things better

"If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader."

          John Quincy Adams  

 

When Jesus reached the spot, he looked up and said to him, “Zacchaeus, come down immediately. I must stay at your house today.” 6 So he came down at once and welcomed him gladly….All the people saw this and began to mutter, “He has gone to be the guest of a sinner.”

 

But Zacchaeus stood up and said to the Lord, “Look, Lord! Here and now I give half of my possessions to the poor, and if I have cheated anybody out of anything, I will pay back four times the amount.”

          The Gospel of Luke

__________________________________

 

Jesus changed people.

I am not talking about how he healed people

Or fed them

Doing for them what they could not do for themselves

 

I am talking about how he made them

Better

Peter, James, John, and all the disciples

Zaccheus

Nicodemus

The woman at the well

 

The stories are incomplete

Fragmentary

But we see the seeds of change planted

And sometimes bloom

 

I love Zaccheus

That man so little in so many ways

Suddenly becoming big

Moving from greed to repentance to restoration

Even generosity

 

I am reminded of the controversy

Around Angel Reese and Caitlan Clark

They are both outstanding in their own way

 

But what Caitlan seems to do that makes her amazing

Is make everyone around her better

 

In a small way reminding us

Of how Jesus works

 

I am not suggesting a shallow analogy here

Helping another person make more baskets

Or a team garners more wins

Is not the same as helping another

Overcome their personal demons

Or ushering in the kingdom of God

 

It is not that simple or simplistic

 

But I can’t help but think of Jesus and his disciples

Gathered in the Upper Room

Defeat looming

And of Jesus saying, “All right my righteous dudes (and dudettes?

Hers the plan”

 

I gift you, and you gift others

I forgive you and you forgive others

I empower you, you empower others

I protect you, and you protect others

I love you and you love others

 

Capisce?

 

In the Bible the One does a lot of stuff for the people of Israel

God frees them from slavery

Gives them manna

Even, we are told, gives them a land

 

A land dripping, nay flowing

 with milk and honey

 

but even in that story of conquest

from a time when tribes battled and lands changed hands

constantly

 

there was something more

 

“When you come to the land

when you no longer are warriors, but are farmers

you are to treat aliens and strangers

as neighbors”

 

The One blessed the people

So they could be a blessing

 

No, it is not all clean

No, it doesn’t always work

Yes, we often fail to learn the lessons

And fall into attitudes and behaviors that

Are not very Jesus

 

But when we connect with God

We get better

And we become people who make others

Better

And make their lives

Better

And make the world

Better

 

Which is another way of saying

When we love God

We learn to love others

And ourselves too


No comments:

Post a Comment