Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Wednesday, April 17, 2013

The necessity of Sorrow

It is not possible 
to complete yourself without sorrow
Sorrow is a vital ingredient that shapes the heart 
and enriches it (Hafiz)

________________________________________________

fresh snow
sunlight shining through the trees
makes me happy

so does a smile of greeting
on a beloveds face
or the nudge of a cat's nose
the nicker of a horse
as it walks across the pasture to greet me

so does the grandeur of the mountain
the freshness of rural air
on an early spring morn

these thing enrich my life
and bring me closer to God
and to myself
as well

but so too does sorrow
the sorrow of failure
of things said and done that have
pushed me
off the path and into
the wilderness of confusion and despair
so too relationship
fractured and shredded
by my own foolishness

so too the sorrow 
of the hatred and anger
the fear
seen in acts and words of violence
that hideous violence
of bomb
and the equally hideous 
violence
of people on the internet
spewing
their blind anger
 
 life is joy and sorrow
peace and violence
order and chaos
as am I
 
in sorrow I am watered
and plant myself firmly in the sacred
and in joy
I blossom
and emerge
and become
 
a tree, planted by the water
(Psalm 1:3)

No comments:

Post a Comment