Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Saturday, January 23, 2016

Sacred Fire

…for a lot of us, the impulse is to hide from that which we don’t or understand or can’t answer.  We lose our reverence for mystery, and instead teach avoidance, and denial.     
                                                          Laura Berman Frotang, The Little Book on Meaning, pp 9-10
________________________________________________

I would like to order my life simple please
nice and clean
black and white

I want formulas I can use
that will cause everything to make sense

I don’t want messy
I don’t want bad things to happen to good people
I don’t want bad people to get away with murder (literally)

I don’t want racism
and oppression
I don’t want to see anyone
matter what race or creed
minimized

I want my religion logical
and concrete
I don’t want a untidy Bible full of rants
and anger
full of confusing images of God
as brutal, judgmental, loving, forgiving
full of contradictions that cannot fully be explained

I don’t want scary blood tests
and pain
and disappointment and loneliness
I just want answers

nice and clean

I have tried (as do many others)
to make it so
and have failed

it seems that life is truly muddy
and dissolute

and there I stand
knee deep in the mire

appalled

but this is life
and must be taken as it comes

the good, the bad
the clear, the unclear
faith and doubt
success and failure
health and illness

the Sacred to must be accepted
as It comes
slightly (or greatly) confusing

for there are no easy answers
there are no magic formulas
and the more we try
the more we struggle

the deeper we sink
finding only fear, and rigidity
formulas that cause us to make fools of ourselves
as we try to make the unworkable work

cognitive dissonance
that we cannot see through of desperation
to hang on to our flawed ideology

and so we face each thing
one at a time
we take each fear, each spasm of hate
into our
hands

and we let them go

and we open ourselves to
that which we cannot understand
and can barely endure

we let the Sacred
roar through our
being

cleansing
lifting
empowering
uncomfortable, disturbing, challenging
mystery

like fire
like wind

Spiritus
Ignis Dei

and we are freed
to walk on

No comments:

Post a Comment