Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Its not easy


“… I attended a weekend retreat.. where the opening exercise was to tell a story about someone who had been Christ for us in our lives…  one woman stood up and said, “Well the first thing I thought about when I tried to think of who had been Christ to me was, ‘Who in my life has told me the truth so clearly that I wanted to kill him for it?”
                                                                        Barbara Brown Taylor
__________________________

Let’s be honest
The Sacred, when it is born again
there in that deep place at the center of who we are

when it stirs, and stretches
and makes its self felt

is not content to leave us alone,
to simply leave us alone,
as we limp along through life

carrying so much fear and hate
so much greed, and such a lust for power

The Sacred is not content
to leave us alone
burdened by guilt
tormented by loss
afflicted by hurt and pain

The Sacred is not content to leave us the we way are
but instead comes
bringing newness
change
transformation

“behold I am doing a new thing, can you not see it!”

But what the Sacred does
when the Sacred comes is not easy
nor is it painless

because when God comes
things happen

we are pushed outside of our comfortable places
we are forced to let go of our willful blindness
we are compelled to change the way we think
and the way we act

nothing is left untouched

and it is not easy

not easy to let go of our hate, our fear
our greed, our need to “win”

it is not easy to know that there are things about our
priorities, our ideologies
that are inconsistent with God’s intentions for us, and the world

it is not easy to see people we would rather not see
to really see them
those people who are poor, or mentally ill, or addicted

it is not easy to accept as God’s beloved children
those whose beliefs are different
whose language and culture are different
whose color is different

it is not easy to welcome those we would rather exclude
to value those we would rather shame
to help those we would rather neglect
to love those we would rather hate

and sometimes God asks us to do things
we truly hate

and honestly
the richer we are
the more power we have
the more successful we are
the more righteous we are

the harder it is when Jesus comes

because Jesus asks us to let go of those things
and we love them
we value them
they are what we believe gives us worth
they are what define us as (in our own minds) “good”, “blessed”

I hate the idea that Jesus wants me to let go of my importance
(or at least my need for importance)
I love being at the center of things
I love titles
And roles that give me status

God help me, I do
and when God calls me to stand back
to let others be at the center
to work in the background making others successful

that is hard

No, I don’t want to kill him for that
But at times I find his leading disturbing, distressing
and I wish that Sacred prompting would go away

Some hate the idea that they need to let go of their love of
Or their hate of Muslims
Or their rejection of people who are LGBTQI (do not call unclean what I [God] have called clean)

Some hate the idea of helping people who in their eyes
have not “earned” help

Some hate the idea that God asks them to share with the “unworthy”

Some hate being vulnerable
Others hate being generous

And yet there Jesus stands
With his beautiful and terrible demands
Love your enemy
Welcome the stranger
Turn the other check
Give more than you are asked for
Carry the pain of others

Jesus is not easy to follow
and those among us
you tug at our hearts
who challenge us to do what we do not want to do
to do what we are not sure we can do

well, they are among the ones
who are Christ for us

yes, the lovers are to
so are the accepting and the kind

but perhaps the most important person in our lives
is the one who puts the mirror in front of our face
and forces us to see

is the one who challenges us
and breaks us open
and leaves us
raw
and vulnerable

and forces us to rethink
everything





No comments:

Post a Comment