Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Tuesday, November 12, 2019

colo-rectal theology


To be engrossed by something outside ourselves is a powerful antidote for the rational mind, the mind that so frequently has its head up its own ass - seeing things in such a narrow and darkly narcissistic way that it presents a colo-rectal theology, offering hope to no one.”
Anne Lamott

________________________________

journey inward
journey outward

journey inward to that place at the center
where the sacred lurks
ready for us to be present to the Presence

journey inward to the place where Sacred lurks
waiting for us to arrive

journey inward to that place
where we can be touched and transformed
by Love

we must make the journey inward,
for who we are in God is who we are

Sacred Children
God carriers

I don’t know about you
but sometimes, many times
I get lost on that journey

Instead of moving deeply into myself,
to the region of heart and soul,
I wander around in my head
which is a bad neighborhood

there are bullies there
which assail me and diminish me
and make me fearful

and there,
in that ghetto of doubt and fear,
it is “all about me”

my future
my needs
my desires for power
my resentments
my lust for retribution

if I live here
it turn myself in upon myself
and end up with a severe case
of cranial anal inversion

No, I must make that journey inward
it is not an option
it is a profound need

and when I make it, I am changed

but the journey is not complete unless there is a corresponding
journey outward

where the world is in turmoil
and pain abounds

where children are caged
and people die for lack of healthcare
and children go hungry at school
or cower under desks during “shooter drills

where families mourn those lost to drugs
and the greedy destroy the earth
and angry people make their statements with a gun
and dishonest, selfish, vindictive souls tear a country apart

faith is about discovering who I am
but faith is more
it is about discovering who I am in this world
this battered, hurting, hungry, bleeding world

and discovering how I can be a healing, helping, hopeful presence
how I can so speak
so act
so give
that I help restore hope, and restore health in others

yes
I know the need is huge
but this day
this day
there is likely to be one person

even if it is just one

whose life I can touch with love and compassion

Lord
my faith is about me
but it must be about more
way more
than me

from colo-rectal theology
deliver me


No comments:

Post a Comment