Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Friday, November 15, 2019

Sunshine and Butterfiles


A few years ago, a Facebook friend let his wife read a draft of a sermon he wrote
When she was finished, she just shook her head.  “Don’t you ever preach on anything happy?” she asked him. “Just once,” she said, “would it kill you to preach on, you know, sunshine and butterflies?”
                                         (David Henson, December 28, 2014 on Patheos)

“Sometimes it seems safer to have just enough God to get to heaven, but not so much that he radically alters our lives.”
Chris Hodges, Fresh Air
_________________________________________________

I wonder if those precious souls
who,
impelled by force I am sure they did not understand,
dropped their lives into the first convenient trash can
and followed Jesus,
ever said to themselves

“What have I done!?”

I wonder if there were ever moments,
when as they listened to him teach,
they felt overwhelmed by the radical nature of the way
they were being asked to follow?

Give up all you have
Turn the other cheek
Love your enemy
Forgive 70 times 7

Die to live
Give to receive
Serve to Lead
Be last to be first

I suspect the disciples felt like they were swimming in a sea of expectation
and drowning
that drumroll of radical, strange, upside down, inside out demands
never stopped
forget sunshine and butterflies

it was all sacrifice
and
No wonder they wailed “INCREASE OUR FAITH” (Luke 17)

there are moments when I too
feel like I am drowning in expectations

and when I too call out increase my faith

and the answer comes
all you need is a tiny seed of faith
that is all you need

I don’t think that is another expectation
I don’t think Jesus was trying to guilt the disciples

Suck it up
Have a little faith

I think he was suggesting God is so big (infinite even)
And God is so close (intimate even)
That even the tiniest bit of faith
Is enough

So give me faith, Lord

Enough to keep swimming
In that sea of expectations

But more
Enough to radically alter my life
That I might give up all I have
Turn the other cheek
Love my enemy
Forgive 70 times 7

give me a seed of faith
so that I might be a seed of change
a pinch of yeast
in a world that needs to be
transformed

No comments:

Post a Comment