Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Monday, November 18, 2019

No time? Or we just don't care?


“Instead of saying “I don’t have time” try saying “it’s not a priority,” and see how that feels. Often, that’s a perfectly adequate explanation. I have time to iron my sheets, I just don’t want to. But other things are harder. Try it: “I’m not going to edit your résumé, sweetie, because it’s not a priority.” “I don’t go to the doctor because my health is not a priority.” If these phrases don’t sit well, that’s the point. Changing our language reminds us that time is a choice. If we don’t like how we’re spending an hour, we can choose differently.”
                                         Wall Street Journal
_________________________________________________

Priorities are a thing

Because priorities are lived
Priorities are expressed in action

and priorities reveal our values

if we want to know what we really believe
What we really love
Who we really love

then all we have to do is look
at the priorities
we have encoded into behavior

it is indeed true,
that all we have to do is
when explaining our actions
add the phrase “it is not a priority”

its disturbing

I didn’t call you, because you are not a priority
I didn’t tell the truth, because being honest isn’t a priorities
I didn’t listen, because caring isn’t a prioriy
I don’t eat well because health is not a priority

That’s harsh
On a spiritual level it gets even worse
I don’t worship because connecting with the Sacred isn’t a priority
(Or I don’t get up and watch the sunrise, because the Sacred isn’t a priority)
I don’t pray because opening my heart to God isn’t a priority
I don’t forgive because reconciliation isn’t a priority
I don’t give because helping the needy isn’t a priority
I don’t include, because welcoming the stranger isn’t a priority

I don’t follow the words of Jesus, because…… ???

You can finish that one for yourself

What is it we put above love?
Who is it we put above Jesus

This seems like a pretty critical question

Because it appears that too much of what we do
What we say
How with think

Suggests something quite troubling

That while being rescued from our errors might be a priority
While escaping divine retribution is a priority
While being blessed by God is priority
And having God protect us, and give us wealth and power
Is a priority
While using God as an excuse to manipulate and abuse is a priority

Following in the footsteps of Jesus
Isn’t

It is interesting to me that the book
In His Steps
Which popularized the phrase “what would Jesus do?”
Emerged during a period of American history much like this one

During a time when the rich reigned
And when economic inequity was a harsh reality
When the rich indulged
And the poor suffered

The author posited, by way of the novel
The basic question

What Would Jesus Do?  WWJD?

Well?
Right now, what WOULD Jesus do
About the immigrants
About inequity
About injustice
About the lies, and the greed, and the hate?

What would Jesus do?
He would love
He would welcome
He would open his arms to the little ones
To the poor and vulnerable

And as to those rich rulers
Those rich men feasting at the table?

He would love
He would welcome
He would seek reconciliation
And transformation

Jesus number one priority is always simple
Loving people into eternal wholeness
Loving people into healing, and hope and joy
Loving people into generosity

Jesus’ priority is clear
Is ours?


No comments:

Post a Comment