Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Friday, December 6, 2019

eternity in a minute


I have only just a minute,
Only sixty seconds in it.
Forced upon me, can’t refuse it.
Didn’t seek it, didn’t choose it.
But it’s up to me
to use it.

I must suffer if I lose it.
Give account if I abuse it.
Just a tiny little minute,
but eternity is in it.
                     Dr. Benjamin E. Mays (used by Elijah Cummings
                     in his first presentation before the House)
________________________________________

I remember one of my children saying,
when mired in the angst of adolescence,

“I didn’t ask to be born”

I didn’t either!
Did you?

It is one of those profound mysteries,

the fact that I am here
the fact that any of us
sentient beings that we are,
are here

some suggest we are just an accident
the result of some chance meeting of sperm and eggs

others believe that we are no accident
but part of a mystical plan

that we are, each one of us, intended,
planned for,
if not by our biological parents
at least by Sacred intent

“Before I formed you in the womb I knew you,
before you were born I set you apart” (Jer. 1:5)

there is something powerful in the idea
that each one of us is “on purpose” and,
by implication, have “a purpose”

there is something compelling
in the idea that there is indeed meaning and purpose
to each life

that we are not accidents
but intentional
purposed by Sacred
not only purposed, by known by Sacred

named

“But now thus says the Lord, he who created you,
O Jacob, he who formed you,
O Israel: Do not fear, for I have redeemed you;
I have called you by name, you are mine.”  (Isaiah 43:1)

I am here, you are here
because we have been given this moment,
this minute in eternity
on purpose

for a reason

What is that reason?
Did God really intend, from the dawn of eternity
That I be exactly who I am?

I hope not!
for all too often I badly blur the divine image

does God decide
this person will be a doctor, that one a teacher
that one a rancher, that one an EMT?

I am doubtful that it is that specific
But I do believe this

God intended that each of us carry the divine image
And that image is Love

We were put on this earth to love
We were put on this earth to love others for God
In whatever role we find ourselves taking
We were put here to love

We were “called” to be God’s
Generous
Compassionate
Kind
Giving
Children

For better or worse
Here we are
In this world, with all its problem
In this world which seems to be disintegrating around us

In this world which is filled with hate and anger and greed
In this violent and brutal world
Which tears people apart

And we are called to help put people back together again
To be islands of compassion
To “walk each other home”

That is why I am here
That is why you are here

That is why we have gotten up this morning

Today I will drive over mountains
Set up for a meeting
Help run a meeting

All day I will be busy doing “stuff”

But there were be people in this day
Who will encounter me
Bringing with them fears, and hope
Pain and joy

It is my job
Really my only job
To see them
Hear them
Connect with them
Love them

I am not here to be a “minister”
or a “stated clerk”
or a “therapist”

I am here to be a Child of God
A person so permeated by the presence of Love

That I touch other people with love
not my love, but God’s love

I am here to bring Sacred, eternity
into this moment

I have only just a minute,
Only sixty seconds in it.
Forced upon me, can’t refuse it.
Didn’t seek it, didn’t choose it.
But it’s up to me
to use it.

I must suffer if I lose it.
Give account if I abuse it.
Just a tiny little minute,
but eternity is in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment