Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Tuesday, December 3, 2019

heart break


“Welcome the small cracking of your hard-clodded shell,
Embrace the warm sting of tears,
Kiss the shadow which frightens you awake as you turn the corners of your day,
Love the whole of everything,
Smooth sunshine skies and
Jagged edges
Which all seek us out in
Constant whisper and touch
To say, 'hello, Beautiful. You’re alive”
                                         Jacob Nordby
____________________________________________

This morning I watched a video
It was not new
I had seen it before

but today as I watched it tear sprung to my eyes
uninvited

and the pounding of my heart
was the sound of my shell cracking
and perhaps my heart breaking

I don’t want this
I don’t want to feel this pain

I don’t want to see the big eyes of migrant children
filled with fear and pain
I don’t want to see the hopeless and battered faces
of the homeless.
I don’t want to see untruth and corruption sit in high places
I don’t want to watch as the earth does because of human greed
I don’t want to watch while the hoarders and abusers win

I would like to stay safe
And comfortable
Protected by ignorance, perhaps
Or by privilege
I would to seal myself off
So I don’t have to see, don’t have to feel

but sometimes the shell breaks

and I must embrace the warm sting of tears,
and kiss the shadows
and feel the pain

just as
once upon a time
the skies cracked open
and a little drop of heaven came to earth

love came to earth
and lived among us

and saw all
felt all
welcomed all
embraced all
forgave all
healed all
loved all

if we would heal the world
if we would change the world

our hearts must break

No comments:

Post a Comment