Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Monday, December 16, 2019

the wrong shall fail, the right prevail


“And in despair I bowed my head;
"There is no peace on earth," I said;
"For hate is strong,
And mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!"

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
"God is not dead, nor doth he sleep!
The Wrong shall fail,
the Right prevail,
With peace on earth, good-will to men!”
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
__________________________________________________

Today I am adulating
Today I am being a responsible adult

Feeding my animals
Cleaning my house
Answering my emails, most cursed things

It is not what I wanted to do when I grew up
I had visions of treks through jungles
Adventures in the far north

I would have a life of adventure
and danger
and triumph

this cowboy, sailor, doctor, fireman
this person who would grow up
significant
respected
loved
admired

hero me

instead I am writing progress notes
and emptying waste baskets
and contemplating shoveling the side walk

Today I am adventing
I want to be Christmasing

I had dreams of being in a Hollywood movie
And that I would be the star of this movie
What a delusion, that
This short haired arthritic limping gnome
Should be the star of a Hollywood movie!

And I am not
I am not immersed in Christmas
Where miracles happen
And love wins

No, I am adventing
I and walking in that dark impatient time
Where resolution is yet to come

My soul resonates with Longfellow
Who beloved wife burned to death
Beloved son wounded by war
Country divided

Bowed his head
In momentary despair

And I too cry
"There is no peace on earth,
For hate is strong,
And mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!"

Not I am not Christmasing
I am Adventing
I am plodding toward Bethlehem in the darkness
And the cold

And yet
I do believe Christmas will come
I do believe that love will prevail

But advent reminds me, that this victory is a somber and costly one
As Bonhoeffer in the cold world of Nazi Germany
A world not that unlike our own, once said

Who among us will celebrate Christmas correctly? Whoever finally lays down all power, all honor, all reputation, all vanity, all arrogance, all individualism beside the manger; whoever remains lowly and lets God alone be high; whoever looks at the child in the manger and sees the glory of God precisely in his lowliness

If we want Christmas
We will have to show up, not in the halls of power
Not in the Capital or the White House
Posing for pictures with the mighty

But in the streets
With the homeless
At the border, with the caged
in the hospital, with the cancer riddle child
in the nursing home, with the abandoned woman or man
whose children never come

If we want Christmas
We will have to fight for it

Not with the weapons of hate
But with the weapons of love

We fight for Christmas
When we feed the poor
When we fight for housing, first
When we welcome the homeless to sleep in our pews
When we say Happy Holiday, and Happy Hanukkah
And have a blessed Kwanza

We fight for Christmas when we hug the person
Who disagrees with us passionately

Call me a fool (many do)
Call me naïve

But even while I am adventing
And stumbling my way through the dark

I believe the light will come
And with Longfellow I affirm

God is not dead, nor doth he sleep!
The Wrong shall fail,
the Right prevail,
With peace on earth, good-will to men!”



No comments:

Post a Comment