Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Wednesday, December 11, 2019

The starting point


When our view of the cross is that God demands blood in order to redeem, it is little surprise we have a country and culture that wants to see people suffer even more before help will be provided. But when we understand a God who enters into our suffering, we see that it is that kind of grace through which we are transformed.
Timothy McMahan King, Addiction Nation: What the Opioid Crisis Reveals about Us

“It is when I am weak that I am strong”
                                                              Paul (2 Corinthians 12:10).


____________________________________________

Christmas is just weird
Really
I mean it

If you think about what we say it is
The invasion of Planet earth by the very power that formed it
The entry of light into a world of darkness
The arrival of transforming Love

We might expect more
Than a peasant women
Giving birth to a wrinkled howling child
in the lap of poverty

But there it is
This weird and wonderful starting point

Which reminds us just what is going on here

Grace

The Sacred entering into all that is profane
Entering into this dark planet
Into our unworthiness

Our fear and hate
Our greed and hoarding
Our anger and violence
Our lust of power, and our abuse of power

And being transformative love
Simply being in us
As that sneaky and pervasive Spirit
Doing the work of love

Where did we ever get the idea that the Sacred
Demands some sort of merit in order to love?
Just as I am means just as I am

Not when I give up the bottle
Or my oxycodone pill
Or my lust
Or my greed
Or my hate

It means just as I am

Where did we ever get the idea
That once we have been touched by God
It creates merit

That unworthy we have been made worthy
(as opposed to those who are not worthy yet)

I remember the lovely old saying
That evangelism is a begger showing another begger
Where to find bread

Its is ever more radical than that
We are not the keepers of the bread
We never have been

We are beggers wandering with other beggers
Constantly needing to be given bread anew
Constantly needing the One who is bread
We are withered branches, needing to be connected to the vine
And infused with love

So that we can live

Just as Sacred radically became incarnate in this world
Not demanding anything
In order to Avent

Just as the Spirit makes itself at home in us
Before we are even aware of its presence
Before we have felt the tiniest nudge

So must we love
So must we be there for others

Unworthy vessels
Broken vessels
Allowing the light in, and the light out

Having earned nothing, having no worthiness
Demanding nothing,
Asking nothing

Starting with nothing
Expecting nothing

Just being
Loving
Caring
Healing

A basket of outcasts and deplorables
Hi, I’m an alcoholic
Hi, I’m a greedy person
Hi, I’m an angry soul
Hi, I’m addicted to power
Hi I’m a hater

A circle of the unworthy
A welcoming circle of love

Surrounding the manger with its abject poverty
Surrounding the manger with our abject poverty

And knowing we will never again
Be the same


No comments:

Post a Comment