Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Wednesday, August 4, 2021

the enemy

We have this revolutionary commandment: “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your countrymen and hate your enemy.’ But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons and daughters of your heavenly God. . . .” (Matthew 5:43–45).

 

These are the most radical, political, and revolutionary words ever uttered. They fulfill the vision of nonviolence, of work for justice and disarmament, of universal compassion and unconditional forgiveness, and of trust in the God of peace. Few discuss this commandment, but I believe it sums up Christianity. But we’ve done our best to avoid and disobey it.

          John Dear, The Beatitudes of Peace: Meditations on the Beatitudes,

Peacemaking and the Spiritual Life (Twenty-Third Publications: 2016), 129–130

______________________________

 

It is a conundrum      

this teaching of Jesus that we are to love our enemies

 

we have been taught from birth that there are good people and bad people

we have been taught that the good folk fight the bad folk

and, hallelujah, in then and power of God, defeat them

 

in America we have built a national identity around being the

“power for good”

the hero nation that “saves the world”!!

time and time and time again

 

we have developed a culture of aggression and violence

we have deified force and sanctified the carrying of tools of death

 

and into this ethos come the words of Jesus

love your enemies

pray for those who persecute you

 

and pray not for their defeat or death, but for their redemption

 

and don’t just pray!

act accordingly!

 

Ouch

 

walk with your enemy the second mile (go along side)

give them the coat off your back (give to them in a sacrificial way)

turn the other check (be a pacifist)

give to them, expecting nothing back (what does this say about taking care of the poor?  how do we stuff “lazy moocher” into this one?)

 

Paul doubles down on the words of Jesus

“if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals on his head.” Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.”

 

it is the drumroll of the Gospel

 

Alas and Alack!

 

I do not love my enemies

I would like to claim that I do

sometimes I claim that I do

often I try

 

but I am found wanting

 

when it comes to enemies

when it comes to those I believe are doing wrong

when it comes to those who lie, or believe lies

those who refuse to do what is for the common good (get a shot, or if not, wear a mask)

those who are racist

those who try to intimidate, coerce and dominate

those who put people over money

 

I am found wanting

even when I try

 

when I was growing up I used to listen to a record that my mother had bought, by a guy named Tom Lerner.  Lerner used to sing songs that highlighted the ills of society. 

 

Among his hits were song such as “Pollution” which had the line “fish gotta swim and birds gotta fly, but they don’t last long if they try!”

and

“So Long Mom, I’m off to drop the bomb”. 

 

but one that always hit me powerfully was a little song called “National Brotherhood Week”.  Tom introduced the song this way.

 

“One week of every year is designated National Brotherhood Week.

This is just one of many such weeks honoring various worthy causes. 

During National Brotherhood Week various special events are arranged to drive home the message of brotherhood. 

 

I'm sure we all agree that we ought to love one another

and I know there are people in the world that do not love their fellow human beings

 

and I hate people like that.”

 

Ouch!

 

so what do I do?

 

like Paul my soul cries out

“for what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 16

and if I do what I do not want to do”  (Romans 7)

 

what do I do?

I turn to the Presence of Love in me

for what I cannot do

Love Incarnate

can

 

Love can give me love

for all those who I believe

violate love

imperil our nation

oppress the poor

and marginalize others

 

and perhaps,

just perhaps

if love can do that for me

 

then as if flows through me and from me

it can get through to them

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment