Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Thursday, August 19, 2021

The road is made by walking

Wanderer, there is no way, the road is made by walking

          Antonio Machado, Proverbios y Cantares

__________________________

 

Slowly the sun rises

into a smoke filled sky.

 

It burns red and orange through the haze

as the dust roils from parched ground.

 

What will this day bring?

What will I accomplish?

 

For this septuagenarian, wallowing in his cootage

the path ahead seems vague.

 

Although I still work (three jobs)

and still have much to do, there is something different

about this road.

 

It stretches behind me, into mountains and valleys,

and twists and turns a perfect disaster, at times,

of poor choices.

 

It stretches forward too, into eternity,

but I realize now that this road

is not a road, only a suggestion.

 

And I understand that I will make this road,

as I have made the road behind me,

by walking.

 

It will become through the choices I make each moment,

the values I choose,

the people I meet,

the oddities life will throw my way.

 

Knowing me, the path will not be smooth!

I am a wanderer, and chase after truth and love,

but also after illusory ghosts that lead me astray.

 

Yes, you would think I would know better after all these years.

But still, I will chase dreams and enthusiasms,

sometimes into swamps and box canyons.

 

But there is something to be learned here.

To make each choice intentional and thoughtful.

 

To stop, and breathe, and look around

just for a moment, before plunging forward.

 

To stop, breathe, and listen to the still small voice

I hope is Sacred

whispering in my ear

 

“Perhaps you might want to go this way.  Start walking”

No comments:

Post a Comment