Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Monday, December 6, 2021

I really do care

(Occasioned by a Facebook meme that celebrated toxic individualism, and suggested calls for kindness and respect are a form of tyranny – and features a two-handed one-finger salute – no that doesn’t violate FB community standards)

______________

 

I love Jesus (he/she said)

but I don’t care about you.

 

You with the colored skin whose people have been killed, oppressed, and minimized.

You whose ancestors were enslaved.

You whose creed is different than mine.

 

I love Jesus but forget you and your request that I refrain from saying and doing things

that hurt and harm you (the language was stronger).

 

I love Jesus but I hate being politically correct.

I will say “Merry Christmas” and consider “Happy Holidays” as tyranny,

I will say whatever I want and use whatever labels I want.

If that offends you “too bad, so sad”.

 

I love Jesus

but I don’t care about you.

I don’t want to wear a mask,

and my keepers have told me that vaccines are just a liberal plot to control.

 

So thank you very much,

but I will ignore your age, your cancer treatments,

and your auto-immune disorders and I will refuse

to wear a mask or get vaccinated.

 

I love Jesus

but I also love “sticking it to” those I don’t agree with.

I love money (it’s a sign of heavenly blessing right?!)

I love guns. I love political power.

I love dominating and controlling,

and I really (!) love retribution.

 

I love Jesus

I am just don’t love the Jesus who said the last will be first,

the poor are blessed,

turn the other check,

give up all that you have and help the poor,

welcome the stranger,

forgive, forgive, and then forgive again,

bless those who curse you,

sacrifice,

serve,

love all.

 

I love Jesus,

or do I?

 

Honestly each of us must ask,

Right-wing or left-wing, it doesn’t matter.

Each of us must ask what it means to “love” Jesus.

 

I suspect it all comes down to one simple thing,

that one thing

one thing,

 

that Jesus commanded

(he wasn’t subtle)

 

Love

 

Love your neighbor

Love your enemy

Love those like you.

Love those who aren’t like you.

Love those you like.

Love those you don’t like (you don’t have to like them, just love them)

Love those who look like you.

Love those who don’t

Love those who deserve it.

Love those who don’t

Love those who are rich (yes!)

Love those who are poor.

 

Love others

You know, the way Jesus loves you

I really do care (and I’m trying)

Do you?


No comments:

Post a Comment