Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Thursday, December 2, 2021

Maybe it is not too late

Every morning I wake up and think, what a beautiful day to be alive!

NOT!

I would like to feel that way.

Sometimes I do feel that way.

But very often my monkey brain is too busy, too stressed, too full.

 

There is a world out there that is beautiful to be sure.

There are people out there who make me smile.

 

But the planet is struggling.

And there are people who are immersed in lies,

and enslaved by toxic individualism,

 

and the lust for power and wealth,

and a willingness to abandon truth and kindness to achieve power and wealth,

 

overwhelms.

 

At times I get out of bed with purpose, ready to embrace the day

and make things happen.

 

At times I feel so very small and helpless,

and wonder why I should bother to get up at all,

while every fiber of my being says,

 

its impossible.

 

But I know it is not!

Oh, I have no illusions that I will change the world.

But I know that the Love that dwells in me has the capacity

to make the impossible happen.

 

That is what the force we call Yahweh has always done.

Think creation!  Order out of chaos.

Think Abram and Sarai, impossibly barren, and yet, Isaac

Think Zechariah and Elizabeth!  Again the impossible.

And think Mary.

And the empty tomb.

And Pentecost.

And…

 

Which is why there have been those among God’s people who have always dreamed the impossible.  Who have envisioned the impossible.

 

And who encourage us to join them!  Who encourage us to believe that maybe what seems so impossible is possible after all.

 

Maybe guns will be beaten into garden tools

Maybe justice will flow like a river.

Maybe the predators (corporations and people of power) will lie down with the prey (the poor and vulnerable).

Maybe war will become a thing of the past.

Maybe the kingdom will come.

 

Maybe it is not too late.

Maybe something beautiful can happen.

 

What will it take?

The Spirit for sure, roaring like a fire, rushing like the wind.

Waking us up.

Making us feel.

Challenging us to let go of the old, so we can be open to the new.

 

It will take us

Spirit driven,

being broken open, and poured out

and willing to work to make a difference,

even when it feels impossible.

 

Even if that difference is only manifest one person at a time.

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment