Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Saturday, December 24, 2022

THIRSTY

The world is thirsty. All creation is groaning. Christianity, as it is, has not satisfied the souls of those who hunger for another way of life.”

Shane Claiborne, The Irresistible Revolution: Living as an Ordinary Radical

 

I will pour water on the thirsty land and streams on the dry ground;

I will pour my spirit upon your descendants and my blessing on your offspring.

They shall spring up like a green tamarisk, like willows by flowing streams.

          Isaiah 44 (NRSVUE)

______________________

 

I am thirsty Lord

My soul is parched by the hotness of hate

The heat of fear

 

I am thirsty

Wrung dry by a world where domination and greed rule

And people are oppressed and impoverished

 

Sometimes this life feels like a wasteland

A plodding existence through

A dry and barren land

Where there is no water

 

A long night’s journey toward a dawning

That never seems to come

Toward an Advent that seems more like a mirage

Than a promise

 

I am thirsty

And I long for water

Living water that will well up in my soul

That will bubble and splash

That will gush and roar

 

So that I bloom and grow

Roots deep

Flourishing

 

I know that water is dangerous

I know the devastation of the flood

As waters roar and rend

 

Covering, tearing, clearing

Cleaning

 

I know I can find myself

Like the armies of Pharoah

At the bottom of the sea

 

But yet I seek the water of life

The gushing roar of the Spirit

The fountain of life

 

my soul thirsts for Sacred Presence

my flesh faints for Lord

as in a dry and weary land where there is no water (Psalm 63)

 

I am willing to take the risk

Knowing I may be uprooted

Washed away

Knowing I may be plunged into crushing depths

Knowing I may be tossed and battered

By the raging of the water

 

I want to be filled with water overflowing

Until the very stuff of life leaks out of the cracks in my soul

To water the dryness of the world

 

And the world blooms

And the air is filled

With the fragrance of Love

 

No comments:

Post a Comment