Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Sunday, December 18, 2022

Winnowing

WINNOWING

 

It is the Lord's kindness that he will take the scum off us in the fire. Who knows how needful winnowing is to us and what dross we have before we enter the kingdom of God? So narrow is the entry to heaven that our knots, lumps of pride, self-love, idol-love, and world-love must be hammered off us, that we may stoop low and creep through into that narrow entry.

Samuel Rutherford

_____________________________________

 

“Remember who you are” my mother would say

everytime

everytime

I would leave the house for a night out in our little country town

 

as if anyone would let me forget!

 

and yet I do forget

sometimes it feels as if I have a massive case of amnesia

 

I have forgotten who I am

where I cam from

what I was created to be

 

I have been taught you see, by this world

who I am

so that my image of myself has become blurred

 

my soul is more like Velcro than Teflon

burdened with the flotsam of life

with failures and losses

with pride and greed

and need

 

until I am weighed down, unable to move

 

so it is with so many of us

 

each day I listen to people who have learned

they are bad

stupid

a waste of space

selfish

weak

unworthy

unworthy

unworthy

 

spirituality I have decided is as much a matter of unlearning as learning

of unlearning all those things a fallen world has taught us

it is a matter of going inside

and finding God

 

for it is that moment when we find God inside ourselves

that we find ourselves inside God

 

and it is then that we unlearn that which be unlearned

and learn again what it means to be a child of God

 

when Sacred Advents in our soul

we are like the grain on the threshing floor

the wind of the Spirit tosses us as a winnowing fork tosses gain

 

and the chaff

all that binds us

floats away

blown by the wind of the Spirit

consumed by the fire of the Spirit

 

and that precious kernel that is our Sacred self

is freed

ready to be planted

and birthed again

No comments:

Post a Comment