Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Tuesday, January 16, 2024

Bless the echthroi

The echthroi are those who would separate us from stars and each other, un-Name, annihilate.  The fallen angels are echthroi, and so are disease and famine and hate nad vanity and a host of other little nasty things.  The echthroi would teach us despair, indifference, would have us believe that unmerited suffering is deliberately inflicted on the creature by an angry Creator.  The echthroi are forensic. They are powerful.  But love is greater

          Madeleine L’Engle

 

Oh that you would kill the wicked, O God, and that the bloodthirsty would depart from me; those who speak of you maliciously, and lift themselves against you for evil!

Do I not hate those who hate you, O Lord? And do I not loathe those who rise against you? I hate them with perfect hatred; I count them my enemies.

Search ME, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my thoughts. See if there is any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

          Psalm 139

______________________________________________

 

The world, it seems

Is filled with echthroi

With those who would separate and divide

 

The echthroi are everywhere

These fallen angels perhaps

This fallen humanity

 

Sometimes, it seems, they are people

We know their names

Those who stir up hate and enmity

Those who use fear and lies to manipulate and divide

To create violence

 

Sometimes they are bigger, more pervasive

Poverty, War, Disease and Dis-ease

And that lust for power and wealth

 

They can be anything

Even our own families (Mathew 10)

 

Anything that becomes more important than Sacred, than Love

Anything that hardens the heart and blinds us to others

And blinds us to ourselves

 

We feel the enmity

It lingers in our souls

That creeping hate, that foul malignancy

 

It eats away at us

And it separates us from ourselves

And it separates us from all that is Sacred

The stars, the moon, the sun

The planet

 

From Love

 

It feels as if the world is full of these “monsters”

These Echthroi

As if we are powerless before them

 

And so we lash out

We become violent in our souls

We become violent with our words

We become violent

 

And we hate

We hate the hate

We hate the haters

And in hating we become what we hate

 

But hear the good news of the Gospel

The Echthroni are powerful

Love is more powerful

Humility is more powerful

 

Love can say to hate,

“This stops here”

 

Let’s hear it for “hate interrupted”

For that moment when we stop and breathe

And become open

 

When Love stops us in the middle of our rant

“Do I not hate those who hate you, O Lord? And do I not loathe those who rise against you? I hate them with perfect hatred; I count them my enemies.”

 

And takes us to that new place

“Search ME, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my thoughts. See if there is any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.”

 

These are troubling times

It is easy to despair

It is easy to slide into the abyss of hate

 

But this I believe

The more we resist the Echthroi with their own weapons

Hate

The more powerful they become

 

But the more we open ourselves up to love

To our “better angels”

To hope, and joy, and peace

 

The less room there is for the Echthroi

The less power they have

 

So bless those I love

Bless those I hate

Bless the echthroi

 

Let me hold them all out to the love of God

 

This is not easy

It is not soft, cozy, shallow love

It means stepping into the fear, the hate, the blind animosity

And holding it

Carrying it

 

As Jesus carried it all

To the cross

 

So bless the bullies

Bless the haters

Bless them so that they may turn

From anger, resentment, and violence

 

Into the light of God’s love

 

 

PS  This I know to be true.  I am not there, yet.  But I am trying

 


No comments:

Post a Comment