Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Wednesday, July 31, 2024

Curmudgeon of Joy

I refuse to believe that greed will triumph over justice

That racism is an incurable social disease

That hunger and poverty cannot be overcome

That our planet cannot be restored as a garden of life

 

I am stubborn in my faith and optimism

I am tenacious in love, constant in compassion

Unwavering in my ability to laugh, especially at myself…

 

I hope many of you are getting set in these ways too.

Let us be the curmudgeons of joy

          Steven Charleston

___________________________

 

Belief

it rises like the sun

bright, revealing, warming

lifting the heart, showing the way

 

yet not like the sun

unpredictable

disappearing suddenly

slipping away behind the deep darkness

of despair

 

I love those glimmers of certainty when they come

God has this

Love wins

 

but all too often find myself

grasping, reaching

chasing the fleeting rays of hope

as they flit across the surface of my day

leaving me in the dark, empty-handed

 

I believe, Lord help my unbelief

that unbelief that leaves me

afraid

defeated

angry

struggling

 

encapsulated by my doubt

unable to hope

struggling to be joyful

 

a creature turned in on itself

critical, unkind

impatient

 

a curmudgeon

a bent being bereft of joy

 

I believe, help my unbelief

may radical optimism

make me stubborn, tenacious

unwavering

 

may I ooze hope

and be fueled by love

a light in the darkness

no longer

overcome

 

a curmudgeon of joy


No comments:

Post a Comment