Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Monday, July 29, 2024

I'm offended

Let the truth be told.  Let love be lived.

Let hope be real.  Let peace be everlasting

          Steven Charleston (Spirit Wheel)

 

To put it simply, I think the challenge in this for me is not to allow my desire to oppose and dismantle things like prejudice and hate in this world to cause me to become prejudiced and hateful towards others myself. Such a difficult challenge.

                     Ben Cremer (Blog, Into the Gray)

__________________________________

 

It is easy to be offended.

I offended, you’re offended,

Wouldn’t we like to be offended now?

 

We can always find something to be offended by

We don’t even have to look hard

But we do

 

We might be offended by different things

You might be offended by a moment in the opening ceremony at the Olympics

I might be offended that you are offended

 

But we end up in the same place

seeing the “other” as the “other”

 

Those drag queens are “the other”

That right-wing Christian is “the other”

 

What is offense, really?

Is it righteous indignation over a value violated?

Is it proper disgust over behaviors vile?

Is it the natural consequence of something or even someone

who shreds our concept of decency?

 

Does it arise out of a violation of love?

 

Perhaps it is anger over things that violate

what we believe is good and right

 

Perhaps outrage, indignation, offence

are the necessary by-product of empathy

We see the pain of others

We see them treated unjustly, denied justice

marginalized and minimized

 

And we are offended by those things

that cause another pain.

 

But there are problems with our outrage

Is what we believe is good and right

truly good and right?

 

Is our indignation really righteous?

Big question!

Because always, we might be wrong

 

Unrighteous indignation is horrible

as it all too often arises out of fear

hate

misunderstanding

bad programming (by our religion, or even our secular culture)

 

But even if we are right

Even if we are right

our outrage all too often turns in on itself

 

I see your bias and your hate

And I hate it

And I am biased against you, and people like you

 

As Tom Lehrer said in his introduction to a song

“I’m sure we all agree that we ought to love one another, and I know there are people in the world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that!”

 

We who are against hate, bias, and injustice

Those who are against exclusion

All too often become what we resist

 

We hate the haters

We exclude those who exclude

We are biased against the biased

 

But I’m right!

we insist

 

Hopefully we are.

 

But still

Jesus said “Love your enemies”

Bless those who curse you

Turn the other cheek

Walk the second mile

 

From the cross Jesus said “Forgive them”

 

He saw the humanness of his murderers

saw that they did not understand

him

or his way

 

It matters HOW we resist

What we do with our outrage

 

I think we have only one choice

to be so permeated (as Dallas Willard puts it) with love

 

Perhaps our only choice

through it all, is to resist hate with love

to resist untruth with truth

to combat despair with hope

to resist violence with peace

 

Perhaps we should go through each day

speaking the mantra of love

 

“Let the truth be told.  Let love be lived.

Let hope be real.  Let peace be everlasting”

 

I am not sure I can do it.

But in the power of the Spirit, I can try.


No comments:

Post a Comment