Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Saturday, August 4, 2012

What is good for you is good for me?

We have many teachers in our lives
Parents, spiritual leaders, friends,
school teachers, professors
even our dogs and cats
oh!
and I can't forget horses

We learn many lessons
in many ways
sometimes the teaching is intentional

listen up Stephen Paul

Sometimes it just happens
there is that limbic programming thing
and soon my brain hums a long
in rhythm or not with your brain
Repetition teaches us as well
growing up my mother frequently would say
just as i walked out the door... "remember who you are!"
Another way of saying, don't so anything wrong!
Some of the things I learned were good
Be kind to others.  Have compassion.  It is good to help the vulnerable
Work hard.  Respect women.
Some of the things I learned were not so helpful
"No matter what it do it is never good enough"
"You have to be next to perfect for people to like you"
"People will like you for what you do, not because of who you are.'

Some of my beliefs work!
Some of them don't!
And some of them.....

Well some of them confuse me.
I was taught to respect the needs and wishes of others.
But sometimes what is good for others doesn't feel like it is good for me.
How do I deal with this?  Do I discount their need or mine?
Do I push my agenda, or fold?
I know I know
There should be a way to compromise
Find a common solution

Tell that to congress
(by the way, did you know a group of baboons is called a congress?)

Sometimes I find my self wishing
that the instruction booklet for life 
were clearer

Wishing that all the rules I have in my head worked
For my benefit
And for the benefit of those who have me in their lives

But alas
So many teachers
So many lessons
Such a mess

I guess it comes down to what I often tell the people i work with

All you can do is the best you can do with the tools you have
and pray

No comments:

Post a Comment