Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Sunday, August 9, 2015

Sometimes I want to Quit

“The place God calls you to is the place where your deep gladness and the world’s deep hunger meet.”
― Frederick Buechner, Wishful Thinking: A Theological ABC
_________________________________________________

sometimes I want to quit

just quit

stop
everything

and hide
back in the trees

deck man
sitting sipping coffee
communing with my books
and a random deer or two (or three, or)

I get so tired of the hunger
of the pain and emptiness that seems
everywhere

so many empty souls
so many starving people
snarling and snapping
grasping and tearing for the meager scraps
the world has to offer

but there is within me a deep gladness
that comes from God
there is a light in the darkness

sometimes the light flickers
sometimes
it almost goes out

but it is there a steady
faithful thing (the Sacred One is nothing if not faithful)
beating back the darkness
within
warming and filling my soul

until the gladness becomes
uncontainable
and spills forth

and I am (at least for a moment)
a lamp in the darkness

touching those around me (hopefully)
with love and compassion
and yes
joy

and it is in that moment
that I am in the place
to which
I
am
called

No comments:

Post a Comment