Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Saturday, August 26, 2017

Time to sit

One day, a younger monk approached his mentor, frustrated at what seemed to him to be an impossible task of knowing and feeling the presence of God.
"How may I experience God?" he asked.
Merton responded: "How does an apple ripen? It just sits in the sun."
_________________________________________________________

I can choose
The old man thought
To sit in the sun
Or sit in the darkness

In the darkness I will be alone with my thoughts
Which are not good company
Oh, perhaps the Sacred will be there too

But that is not where I usually find it

But it is rewarding sometimes
To sit in the shadowy abyss
And nurse my fear, my anger

In the sun, there will be times when I will be uncomfortable
But there I can see the mountain
And the trees
There I can hear the birds
And see them soar again the sky

There I find other people
And they find me

In the dark, it seems as though energy and hope flow into nothingness
In the light, it seems energy and love flow in

Oh yes, there is time to go into the shade
And time to rest

But if I want to find what I seek
Love, affection, warmth
Hope, forgiveness, joy
Sacred

I have to sit, patiently
And let all
Soak

in

No comments:

Post a Comment