Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Thursday, March 8, 2018

angels


“When I get honest,” writes Brennan Manning, “I admit I am a bundle of paradoxes. I believe and I doubt, I hope and get discouraged, I love and I hate, I feel bad about feeling good, I feel guilty about not feeling guilty. I am trusting and suspicious. I am honest and I still play games. Aristotle said I am a rational animal; I say I am an angel with an incredible capacity for beer.”
                              Rachel Held Evans, Searching for Sunday: Loving, Leaving, and Finding the Church
______________________________________

Either, or

Sometimes we get trapped in the world of black and white
I am good or bad
A success or a failure
Right or Wrong
Liberal or Conservative
Saint or sinner

Everything becomes a dichotomy
I must love or hate
Accept or reject
I am for this (or that) or against this (or that)

Ah duality
When you raise your ugly head we are forced into
False choices

And we become entrenched
Not to mention blind
And deaf

Sitting on the end of the spectrum
Right or left
We have lost our choices
Our flexibility
We are stuck

The reality is things are not either, or
They are both and..

We are good and both
We are strong and weak
We are right and wrong
Saint and sinner

The Sacred is found in non-dualism
In a God who is loving and demanding
Who is immense and intimate
Who is everywhere, and in everyone
And is right here and in me

God is in the saint
And in the sinner
And evil is in the sinner
And in the saint

And I can accept the God in the sinner
And accept the evil in the saint

For it is only in that acceptance
That grace makes sense

Grace which accepts and demands
Accepts and transforms

We are in fact
Beautiful disasters

Profoundly wonderful and tragic at the same time
Angels with an incredible capacity for debauchery

But angels still


No comments:

Post a Comment