Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Open hands


“In a world that lives like a fist
mercy is not more than waking
with your hands open.”
                              Mark Nepo
__________________________

how do I walk through my day?
fists clenched?
angry at what I see,
angry at those who dare affront me
confront me?

Angry at the things that are not fair,
Are not right?  (by my definition of course)

It is so easy to become a tight ball of resentment
So easy to see the world as dangerous and dark

It so easy to put my energy into those people (Trump and crew)
Into those events (school shootings)
Those beliefs and values

That I judge (alas, I did say judge)
As wrong
As ungodly
As not “Jesus” (or Buddha or….)

How much harder it is
To live mercy
To walk through the day
Unencumbered

With mind open
Heart open
Soul open
Hands open

Ready to receive
Ready to give
Ready to hug

Closed hands can receive nothing
And do nothing
(except hit)

Closed hands cannot contain anything but emptiness
Cannot grab hold of what is good
Cannot caress
Cannot comfort

May I, as the sun rises
And as the sun sets
And in every moment in between
Open my hands
Palms up

And wait for what comes



No comments:

Post a Comment