Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Saturday, August 11, 2018

be yourself


You are only free when you realize you belong no place – you belong every place – no place at all. The price is high, the reward is great.
                                                            Maya Angelou

You will always belong anywhere you show up as yourself, and talk about yourself in a real way”
                                                            From Rene Brown
____________________________________________


I was the geeky kid who didn’t quite belong
Oh, I wasn’t “out”
And I had a good childhood

But there was this way, in which I didn’t belong
Or perhaps should more rightly say, in which I didn’t feel I belonged

And so I was always trying to earn accepting
Trying to figure out the magic word that would gain me entrance in
The “inner circle”

Being me just wasn’t an option

I am not sure things have changed a lot
Over the years I have been many things
Pastor, EMT, disaster relief worker, Assistant Professor in a medical school, mental health professional

And still I have felt that I had to
Manufacture a self
So that I would belong

A self for every place

And in the process, I somewhat lost my true self
Not completely perhaps, but in some profound ways

Now as I near 70, the thought occurs to me
Perhaps what I need to do, most of all, is show up as myself
To ground myself in who I really am,

I need to say to myself (Thanks again to Maya Angelou)

“I belong to myself (and by default the Sacred in which I participate), and
I like Stephen very much.  I like the humor and passion and creativity, very much.
And when I find myself not being, just me, then I have to deal with that.”

I belong to me
And I belong to the Sacred woven into my fabric
And if I am just me
I am where I belong

Whether it is comfortable or not
Whether I fit in or not

The price is high sometimes
Being who you really are, and not altering yourself for others
But the reward?

Is great

No comments:

Post a Comment