Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Wednesday, August 15, 2018

love versus attachment


“Love wants the best for others. Attachment takes hostages.”
                                             Louise Penny, The Cruelest Month
__________________________________________________

Love is an amazing thing
Love sets us free from the self
And gives us an eye for the other

It gives us the wisdom
That joy is to be found most profoundly
In the act of giving others joy

Attachment is another matter
Attachment is the grim task of hanging on

To people
To values
To agendas

it moves us away from others
in a paradoxical way,
toward ourselves

and often becomes essential selfishness
A patriotism that is rigid and brutal
A “love” that is obsessive and manipulative

“Attachment takes hostages”
Children in cages on the border
Women who are abused
Children who are oppressed
Church members who are manipulated

Love is selfless
Attachment is selfish
Love is freeing
Attachment is controlling
Love enables growth
Attachment encumbers
Love is ego reducing
Attachment is ego boosting

Attachment can destroy love
Love will transcend attachment

No matter what the relationship
Between one and country
One and one’s job
One and another person (children, one’s love)

We want to love
Without an unhealthy attachment

I want to love my country
Not have an attachment to that causes me to support walls, and exclusion,
Not an attachment that makes me blind to where we could be better
And unwilling to change

I want to love the woman in my life
My children
My friends
The members of my church the same way

Because I want what is best for my country
My church
The people in the pews
For my family
And yes,
For you



No comments:

Post a Comment