Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Thursday, January 17, 2019

Let go


"The essence of generosity is letting go.
Pain is always a sign that we are holding on to something – usually ourselves.
When we feel unhappy, when we feel inadequate, we get stingy; we hold on tight.
Generosity is an activity that loosens us up.
By offering whatever we can – a dollar, a flower, a word of encouragement –
we are training in letting go."
 Pema Chödrön, The Places That Scare You
__________________________________________

There are things that make my ass twitch (French Kiss)
Things that drive me into anger and fear
And turn me into someone I really don’t want to be

Sometimes it doesn’t take much
A mild criticism
An article in the news
An expression on the face of a friend
A silence that seems loaded
That certain ‘phrase” that makes me grind my teeth

And here’s the thing
I am provoked because that cue
Touches something I have not forgiven or resolved
Something to which I grimly cling

An old hurt
An old way of thinking
An old failure
A bit of self-loathing

Anything that causes me pain
Makes me feel less about myself
Or unsure,
Threatened

And when I am provoked
It gets ugly
So ugly

No wonder the palmist pleads
“Let go, and let God be God”  (a lovely parphrase)

Let go
Which is another way of saying

“be generous”

Be generous with yourself
Be generous with that person who has hurt you
Be generous to the people you fear
Be generous to the stranger
Be generous

Give in whatever way you can
Give money
Give time
Give energy
Give a listening ear

Give hope
Give respect
Give love

Give yourself

And in the giving
You will find a new freedom
A new joy

But most of all
You will find yourself

No comments:

Post a Comment