Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Saturday, March 30, 2019

still I speak


“Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.”
Martin Luther King Jr., A Testament of Hope:

 “The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference. The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference. The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference. And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference.”
 Elie Wiesel
____________________________________________

It has been suggested that at time (at the very least)
I am caught up in hate

that hate oozes from my words
which I suspect, means it oozes from my pores

I cannot help but reflect on whether this is true

I do believe that hate, and particularly, the acting out of hate
The violence, the guns, the bullying, the ridicule and minimization
is a something that does not
in the end
work

and yet there is a side of me
that struggles with silence
and perhaps, what I would call passivity

there is something in me that rebels against
things (and people) I see as destructive

and in those moments, when I am faced with words
or behaviors
or policies that I believe hurt the vulnerable
I find myself unable to be indifferent

I find myself speaking out
Sometimes bluntly
Sometimes with a bit of finesse

but still I speak

and I fear that sometimes
I cross a line
and move too far toward reciprocal hate

I can try to justify
And point to the prophets
Who were anything but gentle

Or perhaps John the Baptist crying “You brood of Vipers”
Or even to Jesus with his “woes”

And yet I struggle
How far is too far
What does it mean to resist evil, and yet not be caught up in it?

I appreciate those who challenge me in my anger
who put the mirror in front of my face
and ask me what I see

I have no good answers
Somethings must be confront
There are moments not to be silent

And yet it matters “how” we resist
I matters how we confront
How far is too far?
How much is too much?
When do we cross the line and move into the kingdom of hate?
When we hold back, and commit, functionally, the sin of indifference?

This stuff is not for the faint of heart, and honestly, I have no answers
I would love to be a Martin Luther King Jr. or a Gandhi.
I would love, like Thich Nhat Hanh to be so centered, and so at peace
That I can approach what I see as evil
More gracefully

All I do at this point
Is seek to do the best I can do
Be aware that there are lessons to be learned
And seek to grow

And in the meanwhile
Rest in grace
And place those I struggle with, into the hands of grace

And wait
And hope

For those who struggle with my anger
Which is rooted in my concern for the vulnerable (with whom I work daily)
I am sorry

I am trying to walk that line
Between meaningful confrontation
And hate

I know at times I fail to walk that razors edge.

Mea Culpa
Mea Maxima Culpa

Kyrie Eleison

No comments:

Post a Comment