Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Wednesday, May 15, 2019

God's got this


In Jesus' day, there were these emperors who've ruled for a certain number of years, and then they didn't. It's one reason I'm kind of obsessed with how the story of Jesus is set up. When the Bible says, in the 15th year of the reign of Emperor Tiberius, when Pontius Pilate was governor of Judea and Herod was ruler of Galilee-- and during the high priest of these dudes who were high priests, the word of God didn't come to a damn one of them. But during their reign, I imagined it also felt like they would always rule. Those whose power, at the time they were alive, felt so absolute are only a footnote to Jesus. Given that list of emperors and rulers, I wonder if he was preaching to an anxious people needing some hope in that context-- real hope not platitudes or cheerful sentiment. I say this because there are things happening in our world right now that make me and a lot of people I love very anxious. So maybe we can pray for the conversion of our anxiety. Because when anxiety is converted, you know what it becomes? It becomes hope. Which means if you have anxiety now, you are almost hopeful-- you're like super close. You remember that list of emperors and rulers at the beginning of the gospel, the ones who were so feared and powerful at the time. The only reason these tiny, so-called "powerful" men are even remembered at all 2000 years later is as a footnote. So here's my prayer for those of us who are so anxious that we're nearly hopeful. Let's all name every single thing and person that seems so powerful right now as to feel inescapable-- rulers, tyrants, societal forces, et cetera-- name them and then say footnote. Pontius Pilate-- footnote. Your depression-- footnote. Student loans-- footnote. The gun lobby-- footnote. Power hungry narcissists of every variety-- footnote.
                                                                                  Nadia Boz-Weber
_________________________________________________________________________________


I remember when I was young
and had two older sisters to contend with

I always tried to get the last word
Always, always, always the last word

No matter what the argument was about
No matter whether I was right or wrong
I wanted the last word

Not much has changed
I still have that stubborn streak that demands the last word

I want my point to be made
And I suspect that is true whether I really know what I am talking about
Or not

I have finally decided that God is also One who expects to have the last word

In me this trait is irritating

Just ask my sisters

In God it is comforting

When it comes to hate
And greed
When it comes to racism
And brutality

God will always have the last word

Even when it comes to death

Last word

And that is comforting

Because God’s last word is always love

Which is why those messengers of God
Who appear at unlikely times and in unlikely places
Always say the same thing

Be not afraid
Be not afraid
Be not afraid

God’s got this

That is not a call to sit back and watch
That is not an excuse for inaction

No, it is the critical truth that enables us to keep trying

There is no doubt that these are dark times
Bombings
Shootings
More shootings
Hate, enmity
The abuse of power
Lies and more lies
“power hunger narcissists of every variety”

There is no doubt
That some things seem so powerful right now as to feel inescapable—

But God has the last word
And these things, as oppressive and looming as they are
These people as evil as they are
This violence as profound as it is

Are Footnotes

All that would separate us from the love of God
Footnote

So be not afraid
And keep resisting
Keep giving
Keep accepting
Keep welcoming
Keep loving

God’s got this

No comments:

Post a Comment