Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Role models


“Are you the adult that you want your child to grow up to be?”
 Brené Brown, Daring Greatly:
_______________________________________________

I read this question
And it blew away what little mind I have left

To be honest the question comes a little late
And my children are already grown

And amazing

Erin is a fighter
With a heart for the planet
Children
And immigrants

She not only lavishes her how children with love
And is raising remarkable children
But she is on the front lines
Making a difference working for a non-profit
And being an outspoken advocate for peace and justice
And gun control

Erin lives up to her name (Peace)

My son is bright and smart
Funny and creative
We once said he could sell anything to anyone

That he would be a used car salesman
Or a lawyer

He is a marketing genius
Flying over the world and doing amazing things

He makes friends easily
And is loyal and thoughtful

Bryce too lives up to his name, “quick moving joy”

I don’t think I was ever a person I would want my children to be
Introverted
Anxiety driven
A workaholic
Isolated
Moody
Self critical
Impulsive, even addictive

I am easily hurt
And run, run, run from the uncomfortable

Yes, I have been creative
Yes, I am caring
I have my good points, and I am not vain enough to think I am “the worst”
But I wish I had been a better model

But still
I am a lucky father
And I suspect my children are better than I deserve

But what this got me thinking about, was God
The Sacred… the Spiritual adult in the room (if you will)

God
Perhaps we can say Jesus
Is exactly the adult we should grow up to be

Jesus is the one who, filled with God
Was so awake to that presence, that he was
What humans are created to be

Jesus showed us what being a Sacred child should look like
Jesus us showed us how to live
To love
To listen
To care
To lift up
To heal

Jesus is who I want to be when I grow up

Will I get there?
At age 68 (almost)
It is doubtful

And yet I am admonished
You are admonished
We are admonished

To “no longer be children,
tossed to and fro and blown about by every wind of doctrine,
by people’s trickery, by their craftiness in deceitful scheming.
But speaking the truth in love,
we must grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ…” (Eph. 4)

My greatest hope is that I can wake up to the Christ in me
That I can be so permeated with sacred presence
That I can grow up

And move beyond that place
Where I am selfish
Impulsive
Reactive
Angry

That childish place
That does so much damage
To myself, and those around me

I want to grow up to be like my heavenly parent


No comments:

Post a Comment