Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Thursday, May 30, 2019

I am a cucumber


“I am calm. I’m cool. I’m a cucumber.”
 Saffron A. Kent, Medicine Man
________________________________________________

I am not calm
I am not cool
I am a hot mess

I once had a client say
That it was like he had 50 TV’s on in his head
Everyone on a different channel

Make that a hundred

I have what is called a busy brain
Or is that monkey brain

There are sermons to write
People to visit
Problems to solve

There are horses to be fed
(and dogs and cats and chickens too)

There are 5 acres to tend
And meals to cook

And then there is all the crap
Trump (you probably know I think he is awful)
The erosion of our democracy
The oppression of people who happen to be LGBTQI
The failure to welcome the “stranger”
The assault on the poor
And women
And……

And frankly
today
I am wrapped up in all the mess
Overwhelmed, in fact

This is one of those times I wish God was more proactive
In love God works with us from the inside out
In love God transforms us, one person at a time
In love God gives us the freedom to make our own mistakes
In love God works with us to lift us up out of the swamps of our making
In love God gifts us with the ability to have compassion, and live generously

But right now a little “smiting” would be welcomed

Except of course I know
That I deserve “smiting” as much as the next person

But when I see the damage inflicted
The loss of truth
The loss of empathy
The destruction of the planet

When I see people break down and cry
Because they feel so threatened, so vulnerable
Because they know that in the eyes of those with the power
And the money
They, as a poor person, a person with mental health issues, with addiction
They as a gay or lesbian or trasgender person
They as an immigrant
A Muslim

Have no value
And they know
They may lose their housing
Their health care
Their hope

And so I sit on a wonderful, beautiful afternoon
In a place so amazing it takes your breath away

And I am simply tired
And empty
And I long for hope
And justice
And equity

I long for love
For communion
For peace
Did I mention love?

Come Love Come



No comments:

Post a Comment