Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Monday, October 14, 2019

Grace trumps Karma



“If you send out goodness from yourself, or if you share that which is happy or good within you, it will all come back to you multiplied ten thousand times. In the kingdom of love there is no competition; there is no possessiveness or control. The more love you give away, the more love you will have.”
                               John O'Donohue, Anam Cara: A Book of Celtic Wisdom
_________________________________

Karma
the cycle of cause and effect

we reap what we sow
what goes around, comes around

I hope that karma is real
I fear that karma is real

when I hope karma is real, I’m usually thinking about someone else
hoping they will “get theirs

when I fear that karma is real, I am usually thinking about myself
worried that I will get what I deserve

it is a profound thing
this idea that what we send out returns to us

I have to admit that I doubt it is true
for we see the wicked prosper
we see liars and bullies flourish

some days I can almost taste karma

some days I hope for it

“God treat them as they deserve”

But that is dangerous territory

For if the Sacred treats other people as they deserve
God would have to treat me the way I deserve

and so I move, reluctantly (at times)
from karma to grace

it is not that do not believe
that as the days unfold
our actions, our words, do not follow us

it is not that I fail to believe
that ultimately history bends toward love and justice
(although at times that movement seems to happen soooo slowly)

It is just that I believe
profoundly in grace
in the Sacred offer of love
and new beginnings

in reconciliation and restoration

I know of course
That consequences are consequences
and even when grace is present
we sometimes pay the cost of our actions
and sometimes our words return to haunt is

but still, I believe
that we can change our trajectory
that we can chose a different destination

and that the Sacred offers and empowers this

and so, in this time
when I wish so intensely, that some would reap what they have sown
now and not later

I know
I know

that what I really wish for is grace
what is really want is transformation
an emergence from darkness into light
a recovery for hate and fear

what I really want is God’s surprise
not just an inevitable spiral into chaos and destruction

so here’s to grace
here’s to love

here’s to what God can do
with the worst of people
and the worst of situations
and

me

No comments:

Post a Comment