Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Thursday, October 3, 2019

help my unbelief


“We cannot wait for the world to turn, for times to change that we might change with them, for the revolution to come and carry us around in its new course. We are the future. We are the revolution.”
                                                    Beatrice Bruteau

My heart shall sing of the day you bring. Let the
fires of your justice burn. Wipe away all tears, for the dawn draws near,
and the world is about to turn!
                                                   Canticle of the Turning
____________________________________________________________

In the darkness of a new day
as the sun slowly oozes into a smoke filled sky
and an early heat gives lie
to the coming fall

I sit hesitant
I recall the words of Maya Angelou

“This is a wonderful day,
  I’ve never seen this one before”

And as the gray evolves into red and orange
And the colors of the mountain
stun

I do not want to lose this momentary hope
I do not want to go onto the internet
or turn on my phone

and let the world into this space

I know the world is out there
with its violence and hate
with its greed and lies

I know that there are people in power
Who lie awake at night plotting evil
Who are committed to a destructive course
and will not turn from wrong (Psalm 35)

but for this moment
I want to rest in the creative power of the Sacred
I want to believe in the fact that it is a God soaked world
That people, all people carrying within them divine DNA
The likeness of love

I want to believe that this Love
Incarnate in Jesus
Binds us together
And moves us forward

I want to believe the divine manifests
“through the natural, physical, and human world” (Rohr, Stoner, Swanson)

I want to believe in “radical optimism” (Beatrice Bruteau)
I want to believe the words of the old hymn

“God is working His purpose out as year succeeds to year;
God is working his purpose out, and the time is drawing near;
Nearer and nearer draws the time, the time that shall surely be,
When the earth shall be filled With the glory of God
As the waters cover the sea”

But it is hard to believe, in these times
In Sacred Evolution
In the idea that God is moving us forward to a new place

Some believe this new world can only come through destruction and chaos
And so they cheer these days

I believe this new world comes through death
Indeed
But through our dying to greed
And hate
And racism
And fear

Through our dying to self
So that we can embrace that common center
we all share
that bond, that divine heritage

and thus see the value in all creation
all living things
and above all, all people
all

and live accordingly
loving in the Kingdom

I do believe
Lord help my unbelief

Help me be the revolution

No comments:

Post a Comment