Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Tuesday, May 10, 2022

seeds and more

I keep thinking about seeds

I was cleaning out a church closet

(OMG)

And found a bag of seeds

 

Unlabeled

Mysterious

 

I planted them anyway

In a piece of empty ground crying to be used

 

clover!

who buys a 2lb bag of clover?

 

Jesus talked a lot about seeds

and a lot about soil

 

we think most of the soil

in our murky earthy thinking, we believe

it is mostly about us

our receptiveness

 

and that matters

I live on glacial rubble

sand and gravel and rocks

lots of rocks

where things struggle to grow

 

but it is also about the seed

what grows is what is planted

 

good seeds, good fruit

bad seeds?

 

Sacred plants bear only good seeds

not seeds of hate, or fear

not seeds of judgment and retribution

 

but seeds of love

all the beautiful gifts of God

are subsets of the kingdom of love

 

forgiveness

grace

generosity

kindness

sprout from the one kind of seed

God sows

 

Love

 

the great sower sows only love

 

we too are sowers

we walk through this earth like

demented Johnny Appleseeds

 

leaving behind us a trail of seeds

 

what kind of seeds do we sow?

 

I shudder to think of what is sprouting behind me

I would like to think

I have scattered love and hope

 

but I suspect that is not always true

alas

 

there are weeds among the flowers

thorny briars among the wheat         

 

it seems that those seeds I allow to take root in my soul

are the seeds I then scatter

 

this day

as I cross the fertile ground of life

may I scatter good seed

 

the same good seed that Sacred has scattered in my soul

 

knowing that good seed only blossoms

when rooted in the good soil of grace

and nurtured by the ever-flowing stream of Sacred presence

 

Only then am green and alive

and bear the fruit of love

 

No comments:

Post a Comment