Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Monday, May 2, 2022

I will go down loving

Hard times require furious dancing

          Alice Walker

 

Fight the worst with the best

          Wendell Berry

__________________________________

 

let’s face it

life is messy

 

all around us, empire is roaring,

greed is devouring,

and we are left standing in the rubble

 

while the smoke rises from Mariupol

and innocents die

and we hear the sound of lament echoing

across the globe

 

others wail over minor inconveniences

and the rich

“who oppress the poor, who crush the needy…”

say “bring us another drink” (Amos)

 

it is enough to drive us to despair

it is enough to make us ponder

where is God?

does love really win?

 

and we wonder

how do we respond?

 

we feel so helpless

it feels so hopeless

 

and yet

 

words linger in our hearts and souls

words that feel untrue

and yet we know

somehow

are true

 

all things work together for good (Romans)

never tire of doing  (Galatians)

 

yes we grow weary

yes we do stumble and fall

 

but those that wait upon Love(Isaiah)

will renew their strength!

 

times call for boldness

I will not go down despairing

I will not quit

I will not be silent

 

I have a voice

I cannot, perhaps, do much

but what I can do I will do

 

I will worship

I will pray

I will hold fast to the truth

I will care

I will give

I will serve

I will fight against the forces of hate

 

not with the tools of hate

not with violence and hate returned

 

but with the tools of love

 

in the short term, the forces of dominance and greed may prevail

but still, I will persist

 

I may be a fool,

but

I  WILL GO DOWN LOVING

No comments:

Post a Comment