Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Thursday, November 26, 2015

Thick with God

“Earth is so thick with divine possibility that it is a wonder we can walk anywhere without cracking our shins on altars.”
― Barbara Brown Taylor, An Altar in the World: A Geography of Faith
_________________________________________________________

It is easy to make a litany of thanks
to develop (as Beuchner calls it)
an alphabet of grace

thank you thank you thank you
Lord

for everything I can see, hear and touch
for everything I can do
(like jump jumping like a kangaroo – Avery and Marsh)

and I am thankful
for Margaret Louise
for Erin and Bryce (and Ryan and Kim too)
for Mara and Rory
for co-workers
and friends
for those I worship with each Sunday

for Chief Joseph Mountain
for firs and pines
for amorous deer
and audacious turkeys

for hens that lay
and horses that welcome

and so I am thankful
(sometimes)

but there is a lot of crap out there too
which if I let it
erodes my sense of gratefulness and gratitude

the list of evils is also impressive
(no need  to propound, you know them as well as I)

and yet
grace abounds
for the earth is the Lord’s
and all that is in it

no matter what a mess we make of our relationship with the Sacred
(think any religion)
no matter how poorly we behave
no matter how terrifying and tragic life sometimes is

whether we know it or not
and although we are often unaware

God is in this place (we call life, and earth)
and we can not take a step
without tripping over
Sacred Love
and Sacred Presence

and so I am thankful
if for nothing else
than the fact that the earth is thick with God

and every place I stand
(and you stand)
Is Holy Ground

No comments:

Post a Comment