Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Tuesday, November 24, 2015

All in the family

I am a guest here, charged with serving other guests – even those who present themselves as my enemies.  I am allowed to resist them, but as long as I trust in one God who made us all, I cannot act as if they are no kin to me
                                                          Barbara Brown Taylor, An Altar in the World
______________________________________________________________

it was a trying, tiring day
I got hooked again by a politician who seems to embody
Everything I consider evil

I was surrounded by “idiots” on the airplane
(they weren’t really idiots but in my altered state…)

I was surrounded by people,
and news, that seemed to reflect the worst of humanity

“I don’t want these people on MY earth” I declared

However
I am but a guest
and am truly only passing through

and while here Sacred Presence impels me
(much against my better judgment)
to serve those around me

The Donalds
The rude
The haters
The judgmental
The fearful

I may not like them
but I am charged with loving them

I must remember
that I too
can hate and be rude,
I can be judgmental,
and yes,
there are times I am very afraid

and, they are after all,
kin

No comments:

Post a Comment